Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's a dogs dinner!

You are not going to believe this shit. I don't believe this shit. It's...well...unbelievable shit.
Two days ago I was on the computer doing some research for Philip when all of a sudden Ziggy jumps at the screen door and it opens. The latch doesn't catch properly.  He started barking his usual greeting barking...which admittedly is LOUD. Barely awake, I run out the door to call Ziggy back into the house. I register that the mailman is there and Ziggy is barking at him. By this time Murphy is there too making the "marbles in his mouth" sort of growling sort of barking noise he makes which never fails to make us laugh. It seems like slow motion and I see a canister of something in the mailman's hand. That something was pepper spray and he proceeded to spray Ziggy's face and back with it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing because not only did he just spray Ziggy he was about to spray Murphy! Murphy making his warbling sound. Murphy who is 13lbs. Murphy who in his 10 yrs has not bitten or hurt anyone even if they pulled on his ears or poked his eyes...when he had eyes...he only has one now. Ziggy ran up the stairs whimpering quietly and I let him in the house.
I wanted to go in the house and take care of Ziggy but at the same time I needed to know what was in the canister and why the mailman sprayed him. This public servant said that Ziggy "charged" him and scared him and he didn't know if the animal was going to bite him. I can see that. You never know when an animal is going to bite. UNLESS you have studied dog behaviour and can differentiate between a dog that is going to bite you and one that is not. You would think that postal employees would take one of those classes. Haven't they been in a war with dogs since the beginning of door to door mail service?
By the way, have I mentioned that Ziggy isn't a rottweiller or a pit bull or a german shepherd or any sort of dog that is typically a bit more scary than other dogs? Sorry, I should have told you that Ziggy is a schnoodle. Even the name "schnoodle" is funny. It is part schnauzer and part poodle. Ziggy is maybe 18 pounds. Ziggy always greets everyone exuberantly. No one is ever scared of him. Until the day before yesterday. Unbelievable.
More tomorrow on this story....
Here is picture of my vicious hounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment