Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Home Alone!

I am three days behind. Well, only  two really, if I get one done today. Which I think I will. Hopefully. We'll see how it goes.
I don't even remember what happened three days ago because yesterday was a "clusterfluckery" <---- note how I didn't curse...of yuckyness.
After a morning nap I woke up to find that I was alone in the house. It was strange because I am never alone in the house without being told that I am going to be alone in the house, but I was alone. Except for the pets. Do they count? Anyway, I sent Philip a text message to say that I was alone in the house and where might he be. I knew I wasn't going to get an answer when his iPhone "binged" to let him know he had a message but he wasn't here. Philip's iPhone and I were alone in the house.
Shortly after he came home from running to the grocery store for staples. He got milk, bread, cat food and dog food (weird that we ran out of both at the same time). When he got home he was upset. Apparently the brakes on the car were making a horrendous grinding noise and were on their way out of commission. I don't know if you understand where we live, but you cannot be driving around with your brakes grinding or squealing. You CANNOT. We live on a hill, in a city of hills beside cities of mountains. To take a walk in the neighourhood you are eventually going to have to walk up a hill and down a hill. Not necessarily in that order but at least once. You have no choice. The brakes had to be fixed and they had to be fixed immediately. That or chance dying. Not a good choice to make.
So, thankfully (first thankful of the post) Mojo knows a good mechanic so I called him and got all the details. Mojo doesn't go to his mechanic anymore though because the mechanic, Gary, is so good he talked Moje into buying a car that needs next to no maintenance. I called Gary and thankfully (TWO) he was able to fit us in. We drove there with grinding and scary brakes but made it safe and sound (thankfullly X3).
Gary said it would be awhile before he could get the car up on the joists and directed us to a little greasy spoon around the corner. "Boss" (as everyone called the host/owner/ of the greasy spoon) is a happy and funny guy and started to turn our day around. He charges $3 for a full breakfast including 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 slices of toast, and hashbrowns. Yum Yum. Two bucks for coffee in HUGE cups. For $11(that's with tax) Philip and I both had breakfast and coffee. I was thankful (four) that it was so inexpensive because we had no idea how much the repair bill was going to be. We had been quoted anything between $150 and $750 dollars. Does this car not know what time of year it is?
Did I mention that as we were leaving the house I sneezed? Then I sneezed a few times more on the way to the mechanics.
Anyhow, we ate our breakfast, got a coffee refill and spent a good hour and a half in the greasy spoon enjoying the banter of Boss and his customers. <insert sneeze here>
While we were in the cafe Gary called to tell me that THE BILL WAS ONLY GOING TO BE $250 (thankful 5). Oh, what a relief! <insert sneeze here...and add a stuffed nose>
The repair was going to take another hour so we meandered towards the DOLLAR PLUS store where NOTHING was a dollar. It was all $1.29 or more. I found a really cool and authentically Indian Kali statue that I'd like but as the repair bill was going to tap the credit card the $5 statue must wait, but "I'll be back."
<insert sneeze, stuffed and runny nose, and achy feeling>
When we finally got back to the repair shop the car was almost ready and we only had to wait about 10 minutes (6th thankful). I was so happy because by this time I was beginning to feel quite dreadful.
The bill was exactly what was left on the credit card budget this month and the car was fixed! Yay.
The car was ready in time for me to get my sick butt home and get some medicine and head to bed.
Breakfast was great and we will go back there.
Yesterday gave me enough to write about today.
I am thankful and grateful and have the flu.

Here is a picture of a car sort of like ours.

Actually, except for the fact that this isn't our car this car is exactly like our car. Same model, same colour, same everything. One more thing I am thankful for? In the 6 years we have had this car (despite many thinking this model is a lemon) yesterday's blip was only the second time something has gone wrong with it and it was actually normal wear and tear. The first time it stopped working entirely while we were driving on a highway over a bridge. Minor. I love this car. His name is Larry.
Oh look! I wrote a blog today!

No comments:

Post a Comment